Food For Your Face | Pear
With seven different varieties to enjoy year-round and an impressive resume of health benefits, it might be time to turn your attention towards the pear.
Often overlooked as a fruit bowl staple by its more popular friend the apple, pears are the ideal fruit to display in your kitchen. As one of the few fruits that does not ripen on the tree, pears ripen from the inside out as they develop their sweetness, making them the perfect snack to grab and go.
Not only delicious in both sweet and savoury dishes (pear and blue cheese, anyone?), pears boast of more benefits than just being tasty.
5 Food Facts
1. Pears are a great source of fibre. In fact, they are such a great source of fibre, that a single pear can provide roughly 24% of your daily fibre needs! Incorporating pears into your regular diet can help aid digestion and protect against colon cancer.
2. Pears are free from sodium, cholesterol, and fat. While pears are nutrient dense, they only contain 100 calories per serving, making them a great healthy snack option.
3. Pears are a good source of Vitamin C, an important antioxidant for keeping your bones and tissue healthy.
4. Pears are an amazing source of minerals including copper, iron, potassium, manganese, and magnesium as well as B-complex vitamins such as folates, riboflavin and pyridoxine (vitamin B-6)
5. Don’t peel your pears! Studies conducted at Cornwell University found that pear skin contains a specific antioxidant called Quercetin that may help prevent cancer, artery damage and even protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
5 Fun Facts
1. Globally, there are over 3000 varieties of the pear. In Australia alone we have seven different types of pears, meaning that there is always a variety in season at any point of the year.
2. Wood from pear trees is hardy enough that it can be used in carvings and intricately detailed furniture as it does not split or break.
3. In ancient China, pears symbolised immortality.
4. Pears have a low acid level and is gentle on the digestive system. In fact, in ancient Greece pears were used as a remedy against nausea.
5. Pears are a member of the rose family.
Face the Facts: Pear in Skin Care
Eat it or apply it, the benefits of pears in skin care continue! Pears contain natural enzymes that act as natural anti-inflammatory agents and help to accelerate cell turnover. To treat skin types or concerns, pears are a great ingredient for those with acne or oily-prone skin. And, believe it or not, pears also contain anti-ageing properties. Finally, the Vitamin C isn’t just going to give you a boost when eaten, it also provides incredible benefits in skin care. Between fighting free radicals, minimising fine lines, and increasing collagen protection, this is a must-have in your skin care.
Featured Pear Product
Ready to jump aboard the pear express? Explore our skin care range today to find the perfect pear product for your skin. The entire Eminence Organics collection is organic and free from chemicals and preservatives. Every ingredient in each individual product is organically grown, handpicked, and hand-poured to ensure you are using only the best on your skin.
Are you a pear fan? Share your little-known pear facts and favourite pear recipes in the comments or connect with us on social media.