It’s an oh-so-delicious smell, comforting and warm. It’s a flavouring agent in a wide array of sweet drinks and confectionaries. It’s the number one flavour in the ice-cream aisle. It’s used commonly in medicine and perfume. Of course – it’s vanilla!
5 Food Facts: Vanilla
At first thought, you many not consider vanilla as having health properties – well be surprised! Obviously, we are talking about natural vanilla derived from vanilla beans and not the artificial vanilla essence.
- Natural Vanilla contains antioxidants, including vanillic acid and vanillin. These protect your body against damage from free radicals and toxins, making vanilla a good health supplement.
- Vanilla may have cholesterol-lowering benefits, with a 2013 study showing that high quantities of vanillin can lead to a significant reduction in total blood cholesterol levels. (More research is underway and the quantities are not normally consumed in our daily diet.)
- Vanilla is known to have calming and relaxing properties, its aroma being used for its mood lifting effects.
- Vanilla can soothe burns, and has been used as a traditional topical remedy to also treat wounds and cuts.
- Vanilla has antibacterial properties, commonly used as a cleanser and in the treatment of acne.
5 Fun Facts: Vanilla
- The vanilla plant is the only fruit-bearing member of the orchid family.
- Second to saffron, vanilla is the most expensive spice in the world.
- The flower that produces the vanilla bean only blooms for 24 hours, and must be pollinated to product the vanilla pod or bean.
- Only one type of bee found in Central America, the Melipona bee, can pollinate the short-living flower. Because of this, in most parts of the world, humans intervene using a wooden needle to duplicate the process.
- Like wine-making grapes, no two vanilla beans are the same in flavour, aroma, or even colour.
Face the Facts: Vanilla
The benefits of vanilla extend to your skin as well. The antibacterial properties of Vanillin, found in vanilla, make it beneficial in treating acne and skin conditions.
Also, aside from its wonderful fragrance, vanilla is widely used in skin care because of its antioxidant content. This acts to reverse skin damage caused by free radicals and in turn it can help slow down signs of ageing – fine lines, wrinkles and age spots.
To celebrate summer and our love for Vanilla, Eminence has released a new product, Tropical Vanilla Day Cream with sunscreens. Made with naturally healing and calming ingredients like aloe, shea butter and vanilla, the Tropical Vanilla Day Cream delivers sun protection and revitalises your sun-kissed skin.
Some other much-loved vanilla products include:
Tropical Vanilla Day Cream with sunscreens 60ml
Infused with zinc, this cream uses hydrating shea butter and the fragrant aroma of vanilla to care for your skin with the defences of natural SPF.
Available online here (back in stock soon)
Vanilla Mint Hand Cream 60ml
Your cracked, dry skin will rejoice for this smoothing product, put your hands together for Eminence’s first hand cream.