Rhubarb : Food For Your Face
Like its red friend the tomato, rhubarb also faces the identity crisis of ‘am I a fruit or vegetable.’ Known as the ‘pie plant,’ rhubarb’s sweet flavour leads us to think of it as a fruit, but this vegetable is naturally tart and only develops its sweetness when cooked. Since it is the perfect weather for a decadent slice of apple and rhubarb pie, we want you to feel comforted in knowing that rhubarb is not only a taste sensation but also sensationally healthy!
5 Food Facts: Bamboo
- Aids weight loss and improves digestion. Being one of the lowest calorie vegetables, you can fill up on rhubarb while its organic compounds go to work on ramping up your metabolism!
- The abundant Vitamin K stimulates bone growth and also cognitive function. Vitamin K combined with high levels of calcium found in rhubarb protects and repairs your bones. The amazing ‘Vit K’ can also delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Contains copper and iron, found to improve circulation by stimulating red blood cell production.
- Its dietary fibre, low fat and low cholesterol count makes rhubarb heart-friendly, protecting you against cardiovascular conditions.
- The combination of Vitamin A, lutein and other antioxidants like lycopene and anthocyanins in rhubarb help neutralise free radicals, fight off disease and can prevent some types of cancer.
5 Fun Facts: Bamboo
- Originally from Siberia, rhubarb dates back to 2700 BC when it was used in Chinese medicine. Across Europe in the 1500’s- 1600s it was highly valued for its healing properties, being more expensive than cinnamon and double the price of opium!
- We may think of rhubarb as only red, but you can also find pink and green varieties. And remember, when selecting your rhubarb, the redder the stalk, the sweeter the taste!
- Its name comes from the Latin “rhababarum” which means “root of the barbarians,” however the word ‘rhubarb’ can also mean ‘a heated argument or loud dispute’.
- High levels of oxalic acid make rhubarb leaves toxic, the stalks are the only part of the plant eaten.
- One cup of cooked rhubarb contains just as much calcium as a glass of milk!
Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant
Designed to activate when combined with water, oil absorbing rice powder along with lactic and salicylic acids remove dead skin cells and soften skin while antioxidant rich strawberries and rhubarb cleanse and tighten pores. Gentle and effective enough for all skin types.
See our recent Mixology Monday for a great product blend using Strawberry Rhurbarb Dermafoliant.
Strawberry Rhubarb Masque
Hydrating and replenishing masque for normal to dry skin types.
Plump and replenish skin for a renewed youthful flush with juicy strawberries, calming rhubarb and restoring hyaluronic acid. Moisture is returned when these hydrating ingredients penetrate the deepest layers of your skin giving you a refreshed appearance and beautiful sweet cheeks.
Strawberry Rhubarb Hyaluronic Serum
Loaded with repairing and hydrating powers of strawberry and rhubarb, this renewing serum will help skin bounce back to a fresh, youthful glow. Our most popular serum!
100% Bamboo Shopping Sak
Love the environment like us?
Then grab your own bamboo shopping bag, made from 100% bamboo fibre!
Softer than cotton and with a similar feel to silk or cashmere, the bamboo fabric is anti-bacterial – perfect for sensitive skin and the environment.
Face the Facts: Rhubarb
Packed with minerals, vitamins, organic compounds, and other nutrients it’s no wonder that rhubarb is a key ingredient in our popular Strawberry Rhubarb skin care range.
Great for improving skin health, rhubarb also contains antioxidants which neutralise skin-damaging free radicals, helping to delay premature ageing and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. An added benefit is the natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of rhubarb, assisting to protect the skin against infection and blemishes.
Does our Strawberry Rhubarb Collection sounds good enough to eat? Well it is, with our entire range of Organic face, skin and body products being all natural – chemical free, preservative free and handmade! We look to nature for the source of our ingredients, making them so good you could literally eat them!
For information on where to buy our Strawberry Rhubarb Collection or any of our Organic Skin Care, please browse our online store or visit our one of our exclusive Spa and Salon Partners around Australia.
While we all have a favourite pie recipe, does anyone have a great dish to share using raw rhubarb?