Being one of the few fruits that does not ripen on the tree, it’s a perfect Grab-n-Go snack for the fruit bowl and, as it ripens from the inside out, the sweetness develops.
The pear is also one of the most versatile fruits, delicious in both sweet and savoury recipes. Perhaps it’s time to forget the old apple in favour of a pear-a-day pledge!
5 Food Facts: Pears
- Pears are an excellent source of fibre. A single pear can provide about 24% of your daily fibre needs, meaning that regularly eating pears may assist your digestion and protect against colon cancer.
- Pears are sodium-free, cholesterol-free and fat-free! Pears are nutrient dense but contain only 100 calories per serving- putting them on the menu for weight management or a healthier you!
- Pears are a good source of Vitamin C. This is an important antioxidant for keeping your bones and tissues healthy.
- This fruit is a good source of minerals such as copper, iron, potassium, manganese and magnesium as well as B-complex vitamins such as folates, riboflavin and pyridoxine (vitamin B-6).
- They have skin power – don’t peel your pears! Quercetin is an antioxidant found in the skin of pears. According to studies at Cornell University, this specific antioxidant may help prevent cancer, artery damage and even protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
5 Fun Facts: Pears
- There are over 3000 varieties of pears grown around the world. Need some help in deciding which pear to pick? The Australian Pears website provides a great guide on which pears are in store each month.
- Asian pears were cultivated in China as early as 1134 B.C.
- Pears were used as a natural remedy against nausea in ancient Greece.
- In the 1700s, pears were given the nickname “butter fruit” because of their soft, buttery texture.
- Pears are often recommended for weaning babies because they are low in acid, and they are considered to be a hypoallergenic fruit because pear allergies are rare.
Face the Fact: Pears
These juicy gems are divinely healthy for our skin too – whether you eat it or apply it! The anti-ageing properties of a pear along with its benefits for oily or acne-prone skin make it a perfect ingredient in our organic skin care range. The natural enzymes in pears mean they are a great natural anti-inflammatory agent and the fruit extract can also accelerate cell turnover.
This natural skin polisher harnesses the power of pear pulp to infuse your skin with bioflavonoids and antioxidants. All signs of roughness and dryness will be smoothed away to leave a smooth and glowing complexion.
Get silky smooth skin with a mouth-watering blend of antioxidant-rich pear, apple and sugar cane. The gentle exfoliation will leave your skin smooth while pear and green apple extracts impart vitamin rich support. Sweet almond and grape seed oils will leave your skin velvety smooth with an irresistible glow.
For a complete body treat, follow with an Eminence Body Lotion or Body Butter.
Loving the pear-a-day pledge? Why not start with your skincare and grab some of the pear-love for your body, using Eminence Organic Skin Care.
Remember, our entire range of Organic face, skin and body products are natural – chemical free, preservative free and handmade! We look to nature for the source of our ingredients, making them so good you can literally eat them!
For information on where to buy our Pear inspired Face and Skin Care Products or any of our Organic Skin Care, please see our website or visit our one of our exclusive Spa and Salons around Australia.
Share with us some of your favourite recipes for our pear-a-day pledge!