The coconut has risen to be a miracle food, giving us coconut water, coconut milk, coconut oil, and even coconut milk ice cream! How has this feared fatty food come out of the shadows to be revered by celebrities and doctors for its health and beauty benefits?
We take a closer look at how this literal black-egg became popular once again.
5 Food Facts: Coconut
- Coconut oil has an incredibly high saturated fat content (85-90%), however some doctors still recommend cooking with it! Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid (good fats), not the common long-chain. This means our bodies absorb them differently and they provide different health benefits for your heart and skin. Being a good source of energy, the oil can also speed up your metabolism.
- Coconut water is a good source of potassium that is important in maintaining muscle and nerve function.
- Coconut water is deceivingly sweet as it actually contains low sugar levels.
- Coconuts are good for your immunity. Coconuts are rich in lauric acid, which converts to a compound found in breast milk. This compound is found to strengthen a baby’s immunity is it is thought to have the same result when consumed via coconuts.
5 Fun Facts: Coconuts
- Coconuts can be traced back to prehistoric times and they are believed to come from the South Pacific area.
- The coconut was named by the sailors aboard Vasco de Gama’s ships who called it “Coco” after a grimacing face. The English added the suffix ‘nut’ giving the coconut its name today.
- The sap from an unopened coconut flower can make a potent drink called Lambanog. If you are holidaying in the Phillipines and are offered to try it, beware as the drink is 80-90 proof! On the flip-side, it is organic and chemical-free so a couple of sips won’t hurt.
- Coconuts are sometimes called the ‘fluid of life’ or ‘tree of life’ because can be a short-term substitute for human blood plasma. In fact, it was used as emergency intravenous fluid during the war.
- Burning the husk of a coconut creates an effective mosquito repellent.
Face the Fact: Coconuts
Coconut oil is a great all-natural beauty product, nourishing and hydrating your skin by replenishing your natural oils. The medium-chain fatty acids found in coconuts are also anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-viral making the application of coconut oil great for problem skin. It’s these properties that make taking a teaspoon of coconut oil a day a perfect way to beautify your skin from the inside-out, cleansing and neutralising toxins in your skin. For the best results, be sure you always use certified organic, 100% pure and raw virgin coconut oil.
Aside from having the smell that reminds us of a tropical getaway, the coconut features in many of Eminence Organic Products due to its healthy skin benefits.
Coconut-infused skin care products can be found across Eminence Organics’ entire skin and body beauty collection and includes:
Clearly, we can’t get enough of coconut and being one of the most popular products in our organic skin care collection, we know you love it too!
Hands up for the coconut! Tell us how you regularly use coconut in your health or beauty routines.