The average person will consume 10,866 carrots in their lifetime, so it’s no surprise that the humble carrot makes it into the “Top 10 of the most economically important global vegetable crops.” Its popularity is due to its hardy nature, its ease to grow and its versatility in how we consume it – pulped, mashed, boiled, pureed, grated, fried, steamed, stewed, baked, juiced or just eaten raw!
The common carrot is usually orange in colour, but as the health movement has grown so has the availability of purple, red, white, and yellow varieties of this vitamin laden veggie!
5 Food Facts: Carrot
- Just one carrot provides more than 200% of your daily Vitamin A requirement and the deeper the orange, the better!
- Carrots can improve your vision, being rich in beta-carotene that converts into Vitamin A in your liver. Inside your retina, the Vitamin A then converts to rhodopsin, a pigment necessary for night vision!
- Carrots cleanse your liver, with the Vitamin A assisting the liver to flush out toxins, while reducing the bile and fat inside the liver.
- Carrots are linked to cancer prevention. Studies show carrots can reduce the risk lung, breast and colon cancer. Research links falcarinol and falcarindiol with the anti-cancer effects and carrots are one of the only common sources of these specific compounds.
- Carrots promote healthy teeth and gums, balancing out your saliva’s acid and your mouth’s cavity-forming bacteria while the minerals found in carrots prevent tooth damage.
5 Fun Facts: Carrot
- Carrots can be traced back about 5,000 years through historical documents and paintings, where people first grew for medicinal purposes - not food!
- Ancient Greeks and Romans ate carrots but not the orange ones, wild varieties in a range of other colours. It wasn't until the 17th century that orange carrots appeared when Dutch carrot growers invented this variety in honour of the Dutch Royal Family, the ‘House of Orange.’
- Although technically true, the urban legend 'eating large quantities of carrots helps us to see in the dark' developed from stories started in World War II. It was circulated by the British RAF as the reason for their gunners were so successful at shooting down German planes during the night, in an effort to conceal their use of radar technology.
- Consuming large amounts of carrots can sometimes cause a person's skin to turn yellowish-orange.
- Carrots are one of the rare vegetables which are more nutritious cooked than raw, because our body can digest them more easily.
Face the Facts: Carrot
This crunchy orange powerfood provides a host of skin benefits, both inside and out!
The high level of beta-carotene acts as an antioxidant working to reduce the cell damage done to the body through your regular metabolic processes. The antioxidant action also helps to slow down the aging of your skin’s cells, protects your skin from sun damage, reduces dryness and assists to even out your skin tone.
A strong antiseptic, carrots are great at preventing infection and treating skin conditions like pimples and acne, rashes, dermatitis and other skin problems.
Carrot is an active ingredient across the Eminence Organic Skin Care range, from our luxurious body lotions and moisturisers to exfoliants and powerful serums, our list of carrot favourites will surprise you!
Apricot Whip Moisturiser
Complexion is revitalised with vitamins A, B, C and found in pure apricot and carrot juice. Pectin enriches, nurtures and moisturises, resulting in skin that feels smoother and has a more supple appearance and youthful glow.
Cinnamon Paprika Body Lotion 250ml (HOT)
The invigorating agents found naturally in cinnamon and paprika work together to promote a smooth texture to the silhouette. Elasticity is improved and carrot, high in Vitamin A revitalises while calendula conditions and moisturises.
Honeydew Body Lotion
Veil your skin with the sweet scent of honeydew while enriching the skin with deep moisture. The complexion becomes elastic and silky, benefiting from the Vitamin A found in carrot and the active soothing action of calendula.
Rosehip Whip Moisturiser
The complexion is enhanced with rosehip known for soothing and toning normal to oily and over-reactive skin. Lemon juice refreshes while carrot juice and pectin nurtures and gently moisturises without clogging pores.
Check out the entire range of Eminence Organic products – natural, handmade and do not contain artificial colours, fragrances or genetically modified ingredients. We are proudly paraben, sulphate, mineral oil and petroleum free, making them safe for you and your entire family!
For information on where to buy our organic Carrot Face and Skin Care Products or any of our Natural Skin Care range, please see our website or visit our one of our exclusive Spa and Salons around Australia.
Share with us your favourite Eminence Organics Product that includes crunchy carrot carotene!