My blog about the Clyde River Berry Farm in 2011, ‘sealed the deal’ in my love of the beautiful blueberry! Nutritionally dense, this small little berry packs a huge antioxidant punch.
Nutritionists believe that if you make one diet change – make it more blueberries as grabbing only handful a day of this super-food can make a big impact on your overall health. It sure is a busy berry…
5 Food Facts: Blueberries
- Blueberries provide anti-aging from the inside! Holding the highest antioxidant content of any fruit, blueberries are can slow down the aging effect on your skin. According to the Telegraph, just 100g of blueberries contain the same amount of age-defying antioxidants as five servings of other fruit and vegetables!
- Blueberries can boost your brain power. Aside from improving brain function, blueberries may combat Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s – your grey matter will love you for gobbling up these delicious berries!
- Blueberries promote a healthy metabolism. Some research has shown a diet of blueberries can directly reduce tummy fat. With low calories to boot, it’s a great food to munch on over the winter in readiness for your beach body reveal!
- Blueberries have antibacterial and antiviral properties. Rich in vitamins C, A, E and B complex, blueberries also contain iron, selenium, copper and zinc! It’s no wonder it earned the ‘super-food’ badge.
- Blueberries are mineral-rich. Minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, iron and zinc are found in blueberries. The elements assist in the regulation of your blood pressure levels as well as red blood cell formation and production. Go blue for your blood!
5 Fun Facts: Blueberry
- Blueberries were once called “star berries” because of the star-shape on the top of the berry.
- Historically, blueberry juice was used to treat persistent coughs and other illnesses.
- Early American colonists made grey paint by boiling blueberries in milk.
- The pale, powder-like protective coating on the skin of blueberries is called “bloom.”
- In Australia, we are lucky enough to enjoy Blueberries all year round, with Nov-Jan giving us the best-priced fruit.
Face the Fact: Blueberry
Blueberries are a fantastic topical skincare ingredient and we rely on its ability to neutralise oil levels in your skin, along with its antioxidant properties to eliminate free radicals which can damage skin cells. It holds such powerful skin-protecting agents; we use it across a wide range of our organic skincare products.
If you would like to mix-it-up, check out Mixology Monday where Blueberry Soy Night Recovery Cream & Naseberry Treatment are combined – a great treatment if you have combination skin and are looking to reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
So, the answer to avoiding feeling blue in the coming winter months is to eat blue, and treat yourself some of our blueberry beauty products!
Want to know about more ‘Food for Your Face’ products? Checking out the entire range of Eminence Organic products – all are food or plant based, chemical free, preservative free, handmade and sourced directly from nature!
Tried any of our blueberry organic beauty range? Tell us your favourite skincare product!