The phrase ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’ originated in Wales in the 1860’s with the original proverb being ‘Eat an apple on going to bed, and you'll keep the doctor from earning his bread.’ Today, most of us fall short of daily consumption with the average person only eating 65 apples per year, however regular eating can reduce your risk of illness.
So why should we pick up our apple-eating pace? Let’s look a little deeper at the amazing health and beauty benefits of crunching on this crispy rosy treat.
5 Food Facts: Apples
- An average size apple contains about 80 calories and is free from fat, sodium and cholesterol. With one serve being packed with more fibre than a bowl of oatmeal, apples can also assist in losing weight.
- Apples are a good source of flavonoids, which have antioxidant properties. One being Quercetin, shown to reduce the risk of various cancers and damage to the body from free radicals. Be sure to leave the skin on, as most of these powerful compounds are in the peel!
- Apples are a great good source of natural energy, a perfect grab’n’go pick-me-up for the 3 o’clock slump.
- Apples contain carbohydrate, Vitamin C, potassium and boron (great for bones!). The combination is ideal for maintaining overall good health.
- Apples contain pectin, a natural form of soluble fibre that lowers glucose levels and blood pressure, as well as cholesterol.
5 Fun Facts: Apples
- The apple tree originated in Central Asia and today; China is the leading producer of apples.
- Apples or the ‘Aplicus Rosacea’ belong to the rose family and, there are 7500 varieties of apples grown throughout the world. In Australia, our favourites are:
- With 25% of their volume being air, apples don’t sink when thrown into the water!
- Apple trees can take four to five years to bear their first fruit, which will ripen six to ten times faster at room temperature than if refrigerated.
- Granny Smith apples originated in Australia in 1868 due to a chance seedling by a woman named Maria Ann Smith.
Face the Facts: Apples
While apples may be commonplace, they should not be overlooked – especially when it comes to our quest for beautiful skin!
Regular intake of apples can help to reduce wrinkles and fine lines. Also, apples nourish your complexion, and their high anti-oxidant content can assist in controlling problem skin. The nutrients found in apples are perfect partners in both hydrating and cleansing your skin, with naturally occurring glycolic acid helping to exfoliate and clear your pores.
You can find the vitamin and anti-oxidant rich apple in the following Eminence Organics products:
Pear & Green Apple Sugar Scrub 250ml
Get silky smooth skin with a mouth-watering blend of antioxidant-rich pear, apple and sugar cane. The gentle exfoliation will leave your skin smooth while pear and green apple extracts impart vitamin rich support. Sweet almond and grape seed oils will leave your skin velvety smooth with an irresistible glow.
For a complete body treat, follow with an Eminence Body Lotion or Body Butter.
Be quick to also take advantage of our August special offer! Simply browse our online store for your favourite apple-loving skincare, and with any full-sized Eminence Organics product purchased you will receive a gift of 2 free samples.
Remember, Eminence Organics’ entire range of face, skin and body products are natural – chemical free, preservative free and handmade! We look to nature for the source of our active ingredients, making them so good you can eat them!
For a personal consultation or treatment, you can find Eminence Organics skin care and body products in our exclusive Spa and Salons around Australia.
Using Eminence Organics products, it’s easy to get your daily fix of apple! How many apples do you think you would eat in a year?